16 July 2012
Dan Jørgensen (S&D)
The Commission arranged a public hearing in relation to the proposed revision of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 and Directive 92/65/EEC. In the spring of 2012 the animal welfare organisation Europetnet (EPN) asked its members in 23 EU Member States whether they were aware of the hearing in relation to the revision of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 and Directive 92/65/EEC. Apparently, the only member who had heard about this hearing was the Danish member organisation (the Danish Dog Register).
I have furthermore been told that at two European conferences on animal welfare in the EU, held in Brussels on 12-13 and 19-20 June with participation from DG SANCO, the president of EPN asked representatives from DG SANCO about the number of answers/comments received. No answer was given by the DG SANCO representative.
1. I would therefore like to ask how many answers/comments has the Commission received in relation to the revision of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 and Directive 92/65/EEC?
2. From a democratic perspective, does the Commission regard the hearing process in relation to the revision of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 and Directive 92/65/EEC as one that lives up to the ideals of involvement of the interested parties?
10 September 2012
Answer given by Mr Dalli on behalf of the Commission
The Commission has not arranged any public hearing in relation to the proposed revision of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council(1) and of Council Directive 92/65/EEC(2).
However, at the meeting of the Animal Health Advisory Committee of the Advisory Group on the Food Chain, Animal Health and Plant Health of 17 February 2012(3) the Commission provided information on upcoming legislative initiatives, including the review of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003(4) and the amendment to Directive 92/65/EEC(5).
The main objective of the review of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 was to align that regulation to Articles 290 and 291 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union following the 2010 Commission’s commitment(6) and to ensure that the new Regulation is better understood by citizens as well as correctly and consistently implemented and enforced by the competent authorities, while worded in accordance with the current Union legislative drafting rules.
For that reason, the Commission considered that no particular consultation of interested parties was necessary in respect of the matter.
(1) OJ L 146, 13.6.2003, p. 1.
(2) OJ L 268, 14.9.1992, p. 54.
(4) Adopted on 5 March 2012 under the reference [COM(2012)89final].
(5) Adopted on 5 March 2012 under the reference [COM(2012)90final].
(6) Statement annexed to Regulation (EU) No 438/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Regulation (EC) No 998/2003.