The Bulgarian presidency of the Council of the EU, part of the Presidency Trio Programme with Estonia and Austria, is taking over the Estonian Presidency for the first time ever and will run from 1 January until 30 June 2018.
Its slogan "United We Stand Strong” reflects its country history and the will to work towards a united and solidary Europe.
With the European elections scheduled for June 2019, Bulgaria will focus its program on the EU policy cycle, which is gradually coming to its end, based on four key areas: the future of Europe and young people, with a focus on economic growth and social cohesion; the European Perspective and Connectivity of the Western Balkans; Security and Stability and Digital Economy and Skills for the future.
The Bulgarian Presidency will focus on three main principles:
– Consensus with regards to sensitive political issues such as security, migration, justice, the future of the Western Balkans in the EU, and a sustainable integrated approach to the Danube and Black Sea regions;
– Competitiveness with the aim to develop a more competitive single market;
– Cohesion focusing on the future EU cohesion policy, the reformed Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF), and the future Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), and cultural heritage.
As FOUR PAWS plays a major role in Bulgaria in the field of Animal Welfare, our European Policy Office wishes Bulgaria all the best for its Presidency and welcomes any future initiatives regarding Animal Welfare. Indeed, the country holds a significant position in terms of live transport, due to its geographical situation. Bulgaria has much to promote in Europe, in particular with its legislation on the keeping of wild animals. We hope that Bulgaria will use the Presidency to promote its best examples in Europe.
Read More on :
- The Bulgarian Presidency work programme
- The Bulgarian Presidency priorities
- The Bulgarian Presidency website
- Provisional calendar of meetings under the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council