In January 2017, a European Platform on Animal Welfare was established by the EU Commission, following the call of the European Parliament and the Council of the EU.
- June 6, 2017: Inaugural conference held by the European Commission.
To review the web stream of the meeting: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/inaugural-meeting-of-the-platform-on-animal-welfare
FOUR PAWS' Press Release on the first meeting
- November 10, 2017: Second Animal Welfare Platform meeting
To review the web stream of the meeting: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/second-meeting-of-the-platform-on-animal-welfare
FOUR PAWS' Press Release on the second meeting
The Platform is made up of 75 members: 35 members from Representatives from Member States (and certain EEA countries such as Norway), international organisations (OIE and FAO) and the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) make up 35 of the Platform members and 40 members from business and professional organisations, organisations representing civil society such as animal welfare organisations and independent scientific experts.
The complete list of members is available here: https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/welfare/eu-platform-animal-welfare/members_en
The Platform’s tasks shall be:
- to assist the Commission with the development and exchange of coordinated actions which shall have the aim of contributing to the implementation and application of European Union legislation related to animal welfare and the understanding, within and outside the Union, of the Union legislation as well as international standards on animal welfare;
- to facilitate the development and the use of voluntary commitments on animal welfare improvement by businesses;
- to contribute to the promotion of Union standards on animal welfare as to valorise the market value of Union products at global level;
- to encourage dialogue between competent authorities, businesses, civil society, academia, scientists, and international intergovernmental organisations on Union relevant topics related to animal welfare;
- to promote exchange of experiences and good practices, scientific knowledge and innovations on related to animal welfare relevant for the Union;
- to share information on policy development in the fields and on activities mentioned above.
Official Website of the Platform: http://www.animalwelfareplatform.eu/
Introduction speech of EU Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis on the establishment of the platform: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissioners/2014-2019/andriukaitis/announcements/establishing-animal-welfare-platform-intergroup-welfare-and-conservations-animals-strasbourg-14_en
Decision establishing the platform: Commission Decision of 24 January 2017 establishing the Commission Expert Group ‘Platform on Animal Welfare’ C/2017/0280
VIER PFOTEN Press Release on the establishment of the Platform: http://www.vier-pfoten.eu/news-press/eu-related-press-releases/2017/launch-of-the-animal-welfare-platform-by-the-european-commission-/